Friday, July 16, 2010

How Will You Measure Your Life?

Clayton Christensen's essay How Will Your Measure Your Life? is a must read.  The essay provides a framework for living a life of purpose rather than regret, for investing in what matters versus what's topical.

Please read the full essay - note, the essay is for business school students about to graduate but has broader relevance and resonance. In brief, he writes that everyone must think through the answer to three fundamental questions:

  1. How can I be sure that I'll be happy in my career?
  2. How can I be sure that my relationships with my spouse and family become an enduring source of happiness?
  3. How can I sure that I'll stay out of jail?
The article goes on to define:
  • How to Create a Strategy for Your Life
  • How to Allocate Your Resources
  • How to Create a Personal and Family Culture
  • How to Avoid the "Marginal Costs" Mistake - aka "Just This One Time"
  • How to Remember the Importace of Humility
  • How to Choose the Right Yardstick

1 comment: