Monday, October 26, 2009

Why Blog?

I am reading Warren Bennis' seminal work on leadership, On Becoming a Leader.

The book profiles scores of business leaders and seeks to identify common abstractions that help reveal "truths" about leadership.

Early in the book, I came across the following passage, which perfectly describes why I blog and the benefits of structuring your thoughts via a post:

"Faulker said, "I don't know what I think until I read what I said." That's not just a joke. You learn what you think by codifying your thinking in some way. Codifying one's thinking is an important step in inventing oneself. The most difficult way to do it is by thinking about thinking  - it helps to speak or write your thoughts. Writing is the most profound way of codifying your thoughts, the best way of learning from yourself who you are and what you believe."

I imagine that the paragraph above hits bloggers like a visceral truth - thinking, writing, and editing, all the while mindful that others will critique  your thinking, helps to codify and transcend your thoughts from loose collections of ideas into an integrated world view that helps you reveal to yourself what you think and why.